HP Photosmart “ink system failure” #1
For HP PhotoSmart printers with Fax capabilities, use this guide.
Are you experiencing the ink system failure on your printer? The error is
caused by air getting in the ink tubes feeding the system. This is normally
cause by refilled cartridges but can be caused by any cartridge that goes very
low on ink and then tries to reload ink. This reset procedure does have to be
performed with a full cartridge installed. The following reset procedure will
correct the issue by purging the ink tubes and flushing any air trapped in them.
Please perform the following steps in order:
1. Press and hold the “*” key.
2. Press the “#” key and release both keys.
3. Display should say “Enter Special Key Combo”
4. Press and release in sequence the “1”, “2” and “3” buttons.
5. Screen should say “support” R0631M”
6. Press and release the right arrow button until the display says “System
7. Press and release the “OK” button.
8. Display should say “Hardware failure status”. If not there already, Arrow Key
over to “Hardware failure status”,
9. Press and release the “OK” button.
10. Display should say “Hardware failure status: Clear. Press OK to clear”.
11. Press and release the “OK” Button. Message changes to “Hardware failure
status Cleared. Press Cancel to continue”.
12. Press and release the “CANCEL” button as many times as necessary, so that,
either the “Welcome to Photosmart Express” screen appears, or, the “Ink System
Failure” screen appears. PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO PRINT AT THIS STAGE.
13. Using the Power Button, turn the unit OFF and unplug the power cable from
back of the printer and wall outlet.
14. Wait 30 seconds for the power to get discharged and then plug the power
cable into the wall outlet first and then into the back of the printer
15. Turn the unit on. The printer may display message “USE POWER BUTTON TO
SHUTDOWN THE PRINTER” followed by “PRESS OK TO CONTINUE”. Press OK. The Printer
will start the “ONE TIME INK INITIALIZATION PROCESS”. Allow this process to
complete and do not interrupt. Once the initialization process is complete, the
printer will print out a Diagnostic Page.
16. Press Setup menu on the All-in-One then scroll using the arrow key and
select Print Report then select Self Test Report.
You should be back up and running.
If you feel this solution helped and you feel like supporting this site please
use the button below to send a donation. This helps us keep the site running so
we can keep adding content to help users like you.
From our feedback on www.fixya.com